Sunday, March 23, 2014

Giving Back to the Veterans



One of the key points of the American Bando Association is "to honor the veterans who fought and died in the Burma-China-India [CBI] Theatre of World War II in the Burma campaign." To me, this means honoring all of the veterans of all the wars in which men and women devoted and sacrificed their lives to protecting what they loved.
My friend, Jesse, was selected to partake in the Warrior Hike this year. It is a mission to "Walk Off the War". These 10 men and women were chosen to hike the Appalachian Trail, and to spread the word about the need for added support for our own veterans.



Jesse has been hiking since March 17th, 2014. I have known Jesse since 2010, when we worked together at a local motorcycle shop. And in these four years, I have come to know a strong, charismatic, fun-loving man who is fiercely devoted to his family. To know him, and to be considered his friend, is an honor.

The American Bando Association is hosting a national tournament on May 23rd, 2014, in Virginia, just about the time that Jesse is going to be passing through Virginia. After leaving the tournament that Saturday, I will be finding transportation to meet him on the Appalachian Trail, and to help him with the "Virginia Blues" (named so because the hike through Virginia is somewhere around 500 miles). My intention is to hike somewhere in the nature of 100 miles with him.

This is my way of giving back to the Men and Women who have supported my personal freedoms by giving their lives. I can't say to everyone to come out there and meet us on the trail, but I can encourage you to support the Warrior Hike.

"I do and give, because I can. And given that I can, therefore: I must."

No comments:

Post a Comment